Monday 4 November 2013

Getting to grips with Unity.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been developing an idea that has been with me since I was at the Eurogamer Expo 2013 Last September.

I am still adding and irritating the design document. Since the document is still in its early stages I would prefer to stay quite on it for the matter. This brings me to the main reason for this blog post, since I am going to be making my own game, I am having to learn how to use Unity. To learn the basics I bought Will Goldstone's book Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials.

The first thing I had to do was get to grips with the Unity interface, I did this by spending an evening reading Game Development Essentials I was able to build a first person controller that was able to shoot at a wall of red cubes. The outcome for me was to learn the Unity interface along with understanding of different functions with in the game engine, such as prefabs, rigidbody. I learnt some basic scripting, allowing me to write character movement, also how to fire projectiles in a specific direction.

Here is a video showing what I built.





I will post another update with in the week, that will show off where I am currently up to with my prototype for game that I am creating and what I have learnt from it so far.

Rob Lloyd Morgan




No comments:

Post a Comment